Twelfth

September 11, 2020

They say that if you're lucky, a dog will come into your life, steal your heart and change everything. But I don't believe in luck. 

When Hamlet came into my life, it was at the perfect time. I was dealing with a lot of losses then. It was a major turning point for me - in different aspects - family, career, personal, and emotional. But Hamlet arrived and made everything lighter if not easier for me. 

Having this girl taught me so much about unconditional love, kindness, patience, and self-sacrifice. Many times she comforted me when I cried. Her presence alone provided huge solace and joy.


Hamlet used to sleep in my room and every four in the morning she would transfer to my bed - like a ritual, until we both would get up and start the day. 

I may not like to admit it but before committing to marriage, it was her I thought so much about. Then I broke my own heart when I left for Germany. I am sure I broke hers, as well. 

Everyday she watches and waits for me at the door. I see the sad scenario every time I video call my mother. By far, leaving her is the only reason I regret getting married. (Sorry, Sunshine! You know what I mean.) 

You will never understand my sentiment unless you know what it's like to be blessed by the kind of love and joy so pure that only a dog can give. Yes, I am blessed, not lucky. Blessed that God entrusted me with a loyal, loving creature like Hamlet.

Today, my family celebrates my Hamlet's 12th birthday. Her first without me. The following photos were taken on her birthday last year which I did not get to post.






You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you for leaving a message!