El Nido: Storm, Sunshine and Promises

January 26, 2018

My 2017 has been a year of beautiful surprises. I can't thank God enough for all He's done for me in the past year. His unfailing love, provision, and protection were always present.

This year started off with an even more beautiful surprise. Normally, I wouldn't share this as I usually keep my personal life private. But there's always a first time for everything, right?

So my 2018 kicked off with a trip to my most favorite place in the country. Let me do a flashback, though, to share why this visit is extra special. 

The first time I visited Palawan was in 2003. I fell in love with its scenery and tropical beauty. I promised myself that I'd be back to experience it again with the love of my life.

Laugh if you want but the sand, water, and sunshine in this glorious place are too wonderful to be enjoyed alone. 

I did come back after 12 years, and since 2015 I've been to Palawan every year with different sets of friends.

While every visit has been beautiful, something was still missing. Each time I left, I whispered to the sun that I would be back but somehow gave up on the decade-old promise...until this January.

So here's a photo taken from my window seat of the plane bound for Puerto Princesa - morning of January 2nd.  I was so excited because this time, my company was no other than Sunshine - the person who's brought love, joy, and inspiration to my life. 


But also on its way to Palawan was Agaton - the tropical depression making its sixth and final stop in the country before leaving the Philippine area of responsibility.

We were bound for El Nido which meant that after arriving in Puerto Princesa, we still had to travel about six hours by van.

An hour into the road trip, the heavy rain started. By the time we arrived in El Nido, you can already feel Agaton. I took this short clip below from our balcony.


Not the kind of scene I wanted to show Sunshine but then from my spot at the balcony, I said, "El Nido, I'm back and finally with my promise. Meet my Sunshine. Sunshine, welcome to El Nido." 

The weather couldn't dampen my happy mood. I was ecstatic to finally arrive in El Nido with Sunshine. What made me even happier was that he proposed to me after that short introduction. Yes, he did! And of course, I said, yes!

We had no choice but to stay in our room and cancel our activity for the following day. All island tours were put on hold due to the storm but it was a good thing that we were staying for five days.

The following pictures were taken on our third day. Still gloomy but the boats and tours were back to business. 


We did private tours so everything was special. The first tour day we had a normal banca then a speed boat on the next day. 

While I've done these tours more than a couple of times already, the private tours were of course different and better because we had control of our time - no other passengers/tourists to wait for. 

We were usually the first to arrive in the islands which meant we got to enjoy every beach all to ourselves - no crowd in the photos. And a huge plus was that we got to visit islands that weren't part of the regular packages. 


I know there's a lot going on in this post. There's me returning to El Nido with my promise, the storm, Sunshine, and the beautiful El Nido itself. Some of you will be messaging me, I'm sure, but for now, I just want you all to know that I'm happier and more grateful.

And yes, my Sunshine has a face. I never posted our pics before but again, there's a first time for everything.

Big Lagoon

Headed for Helicopter Island



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you for leaving a message!